Simple (ft. Michelle Kim) Simple (ft. Michelle Kim)

wow, fantastic! i don't know how i missed your music earlier and now i feel bad, i REALLY like this!

Don't Give Up Don't Give Up

hahaha this is wonderful man! i love these kind of ngadm surprises.

the missing hamilton track???

bassfiddlejones responds:

HOW DOES A BASTARD, ORPHAN, SON OF A...

Last Hope Last Hope

fantastic writing my friend!! im too lazy to critique right now, just wanna say this rocks. ok bye

CloakedSoup responds:

Haha thanks!

Gladiolus Gladiolus

wow we both did 1 more singer than normal

also, wow your melody writing is even better than before. :o

etherealwinds responds:

three vs three baby

yay i improved a thing!

good luck grant <3

A Dude Named Grant A Dude Named Grant

who is this mysterious grant person everyone keeps talking about

P.S. /SO/ tempted to leave a 9/10 review that just says "you added reverb" but...... nah let's keep that nice row of stars ;-)

1f1n1ty responds:

relax, the version on the chips website has no reverb

i think

Invisible Magic Invisible Magic

i think the core idea of this song is phenomenal, even better than your last one. /however/ the song has a couple of problems that really nag me...

first off, i dont think the song really starts until "what I want for me", which is about halfway through the song! once you do get to that point, THE SONG IS AMAZING. but that intro just... it doesn't really do anything? It's nice, it's chill, it's not offensive at all, but compared to the absolutely bonkers good second half, it almost seems like it should be part of another song.

second off, why on earth does "we all carry it" fade out?? i mean the sighing vocals you fade into are really nice and stuff but, ugh, its such a wasted opportunity for an AMAZING transition! like imagine if instead of fading it built and built into the "i need to be loved" section??? IT WOULD BE SO GOOD.

finally, the mix needs some more love tbh. i disagree strongly with proudaardvark, the vocals (particularly in the "i need to be loved" section) need to be brought much more to the front! at a section like 2:30 they're dangerously close to falling into the "background instrumentation" bucket, which makes no sense at all for a song which should so clearly be driven by vocals! and also, imagine how good this song would sound with bigger drums in that climactic final section?!? UGH

you still get 10/10 from me because this song is amazing. so i guess with those issues fixed it would be an 11/10 or so... =P

FinnMK responds:

Haha, well all good comments. Tbh I agree with most of it and I knew about much of it when I released the song. I was limited by time on this one; I knew I wouldn't have (and I haven't) time to work on it in the last three days of the round, so it got released with some errors and incomplete thoughts.

At the end of the day, I think the core idea is really solid even if my execution of it isn't. You have some great musical ideas for it!

g o o d t h i n g g o o d t h i n g

the mix is actually perfect on my end, maybe you should add a few more compressors?

midimachine responds:

これは良いこと!

All Systems Go! All Systems Go!

wow great stuff man!

Battle Born Battle Born

great track! great writing, really mind bogglingly good production imho. so keep that in mind while i give you a ton of thoughts =P

a few thoughts:

i really liked the sighing vocals at 0:15 (and later on in the track too), and i wish they received more of a spotlight in the track (they might have been my favorite aspect). like what if there was an outro that looped them, then gradually adding other elements on top??

other thought is: i wonder if another genre would have suited this melody and progression better? your progression is really intricate and thoughtful, and the melodies are great too, and im not sure if such a high octane energy driven genre like metal fits them the best? i'm wondering if a more stripped down production that allowed the compositional elements to really take the focus would be more effective ???

last thought: the build into the chorus is always a bit underwhelming to me. i think that the biggest offender is 1:04, where the first time i was listening i legitimately had to consciously go "oh i guess this is the chorus now" because there's almost no change at all in energy =P the energy level is so consistent that it doesn't really register at all lol. 3:12 is a tad more effective, but it still has that problem to a large degree. either make the lead in 8 bars or so quieter before the chorus, or REALLY fill out the chorus with cymbals and stuff. a comparatively 'big energy' chorus would have done a LOT for this track imho.

anyway it's a great track! it's been a pleasure to see you guys refine your songwriting abilities over the years - the melodies in this one are super solid, and this song has such a tight arrangement, it's amazing =)

P.S. vocals are perfect volume this time bb ;-)

Jealousy Jealousy

It's been a delight watching this one go through various stages of development. Congrats on probably my favorite NGADM track this year.

1:30 <3

McGorilla42 responds:

Thank you, John! <3 1:30 is just for you (I told the same to Jordi, but don't tell him)