Contact Info / Websites
I break it down into 3 categories, which I score out of 4:
- Mixing: How well the song is mixed. How well each instrument stands out (drums are a constant offender). Hopefully there are no instruments with overlapping frequency ranges. Do the climaxes sound suitably like climaxes? That is the job of a good mix.
- Composition: The melodies and chord progressions. How good are they? (Sound design falls into this category, as good sound design will make melodies sound better.)
- Arrangement: Does the song keep my attention? Or is it too repetitive? Does it change and evolve? Do the energy levels change over time?
My overall score for your song has nothing to do with these mini-scores. All it has to do with is how good I think the song is. I provide the mini-scores as my best guess as to what you need to concentrate on to improve your overall score.
- How can I improve my mix? Read this... and this.
- How can I improve my composition? Read this.
- How can I improve my arrangement? Er, I don't have a guide on this yet, sorry. In the mean time, pay attention to your favorite songs and see how they work.
Hopefully that helps! Good luck, everyone :-)
Audition Round Statistics - just for fun - my scores for the All-Stars Round
Overall Score Histogram
> 5| XX
5 | XXX
6 | XXXXXX
7 | XXXXX
8 | XXXXXXXXXXXXX
9 | XXXXXX
10 | X
Mixing Mini-Score Histogram (+ in 3 indicates a score of 3+)
1 | XXXX
2 | XXXXXXXXXX
3 | XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX++
4 | XXXXXXXXX+++
Composition Mini-Score Histogram
2 | XXXXXXXXXXXX++
3 | XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX+++++++++
4 | XXXX+++
Arrangement Mini-Score Histogram
1 | XX
2 | XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
3 | XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
4 | XXXXXX+